We provide necessary analyses, policy proposals and on-the-ground solutions with which to confront the changing reality of work in society today. Our aim is to promote real freedom, equality and human flourishing above all.
Autonomy is an independent, progressive think tank that focuses on the future of work and economic planning
Our 2020 work on Covid:
Work is at the core of modern society.
However, today the nature and function of work is currently undergoing radical change as the result of various causes and tendencies. It is time to question how waged work is organised, question our fundamental beliefs about work and determine rational and enabling solutions to the problems we face. Our aim is therefore twofold:
Diagnose the deepening crisis of work in all of its facets.
Propose solutions to the current issues surrounding work whilst simultaneously generating ideas for a post-work society, based on the principles of freedom, equality and democracy.
- The shorter working week: how can we move to an economy of shorter working hours, healthier workforces and more free time for all?
- Technological unemployment: what is the reality of the widespread automation of tasks across employment sectors?
- Gender (in)equality: how is work gendered and how can we reduce the fundamental inequalities that deny freedom to many?
- Place and work: how can the designed spaces of work, and the coordinates of the city be transformed in order to facilitate a stronger, more egalitarian economy?
- Proposal for a basic income: what qualifications are needed to make this idea pragmatic and enabling?